Friday, March 11, 2011

Letterboxes, Leis and Abandoned.

Letterboxes on the Tutukaka Coast (We are on the East coast of Northland NZ now)- that's seaside living for you...


A tree stump wrapped in colourful leis in a bayside backyard at Church Bay on the Tutukaka Coastline. I noticed that a lot of homes in both the city and the country have similar decks attached to their homes on the lower level which give them additional outdoor living spaces  in their backyard. They usually don't have any railings - this one has some bench seats. There is always a huge expanse of  steps and it does give the feeling of a more extended living space - this is what I noticed anyway!




I love this image of a solitary abandoned church in the middle of nowhere. I guess at one time it would have been a church that serviced the local farming communities. Hubby jumped the fence to have a look in as he is the eternal explorer and reported back to base commander that it was in a very sad state. Glad I didn't have a look inside as I loved  the simplicity of this building from an external view - just how I want to remember it.




Have a lovely weekend.

Pam

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely photos, my firend put a similar photo up of their trip in NZ at the moment of the letterboxes. I like that each one is different!
The leis on that tree stump are so bright and pretty, a great idea for some decoration!
The little church looks sweet, though I think I would have had to peek through the windows, even though it may make me a little sad at it's disrepair. :) x

Naturally Carol said...

So sad about the abandonned church..it looks so idyllic in that location. Love the leis..amazing!

Unknown said...

I love to see other people holidays pictures and get a taste and flavour so to speak of different cultures. I love that photo of the post box's its such a unique thing, dee x

Claus said...

AMAZING pictures! Thank you so much for sharing! They are so unique, and from a part of the globe that I can only imagine and wish to go to someday, so getting them through your lens and own adventures is fabulous. All are great, but the little church and the postal boxes are my favorite.
have a lovely weekend!

Deb said...

I love the mailboxes! The little church looks so sweet too.

Lounging with a Latte said...

Lovely photos, it's so much fun exploring somewhere different. I hope someone gets hold of the Church and give it a new lease on life, perhaps as a coffee or gift shop.

the old boathouse said...

Looks like you are having a fun time. xx Katherine

ale said...

hola pam!!! lovely photos!!!!!me encanta!!!!! besos enormes from buenos aires!

Anonymous said...

I love those letterboxes. The little church looks like a scene from another time.

Cheers,
Lisa x

Favourite Vintage Finds said...

All these things would have beckoned me too Pam! Delightful! Enjoy the rest of your trip! xo