Sunday, February 19, 2012

Attachment to Vintage China

A very old piece of Japanese china has travelled a lot of miles with me as I have moved around over the years. It has been packed away in storage, left at my parents house and even lived in a few countries. It has been in Australia for quite some time now and here to stay. It's cracked and has been glued back together a long time ago and the glue is now discolouring... but I can't bear to part with it.

You see, my father bought this jam pot for his mother (my most favourite nana) for her birthday when he was 5 years old, that was 80 years ago now! Any wonder I am emotionally attached to individual pieces of china I own that have a certain family history and a lovely story. !! Hoping you would agree here...?





I have kept my eye out over the years for additional pieces, they do crop up occasionally and when I see them I just can't help myself. I found a perfect jam jar years ago.




Then a few under-plates in the same pattern.





Snapped a beautifully crazed and discoloured gravy boat ...




...then all of a sudden before I knew it a small collection was well and tuly born.




All of these pieces were found years ago and I haven't seen any since. I don't know how popular this Japanese anemone-ware was back in the thirties.




The anemone-ware sits quite nicely next to the peony-ware pieces I have collected.....I won't tell you what is next to them!!! I don't use these pieces on a daily basis as they are very old and do not like being washed in hot water too much. They are proudly displayed in my china cabinet.





The blue floral linen tablecloth was one of my op-shop finds this week.



Do you have an attachment to vintage china story?

17 comments:

Kathy said...

I love vintage china and it is especially beautiful when collections start as a reminder of family.

Deb said...

They are lovely. I have my great grandmother's china tea cups and plates.

Heirloom treasures said...

Do I ever,anything pretty and floral,I can't resist. Your little collection is so lovely,especially with its history.
I am having a tour of your pretty blog and love it. x jeanetteann

Shane Pollard said...

Oh yes I do Pam!!!

These Japanese pieces are wonderful, especially the original jam pot your father gave to his mother. So it's more than 80 years old at least - it's probably quite valuable too.

I bought some lovely little Mason plates on Friday and I can't stop looking at them!!!!

Shane x

Unknown said...

Ahh what a beautiful story and lovely memories. Its so pretty no wonder you bought some more i bet your grandad loved the other items you bought to. I would be attached to it also. Enjoy it and your lovely tablecloth. dee x

Rose H (UK) said...

What a sweet collection Pam, and such a wonderful family piece to start you off. To answer your question I get far too attached to some pottery and china - that's why I have a house full! Lots of it are originally from family too, when my Aunt (who was very sentimental and a collector) died about six years ago my cousin was for giving the whole lot away or just throwing it :o( So you can guess where some of it came. In fact I was going to make my next post about a couple of pieces! Great minds and all that ;o)
Rose H

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Don't think I've ever seen china quite like that before - its lovely. Great collection.
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Joolz said...

Lovely story & what a gorgeous set you now have. I have my Nana's willow pattern teaset. She was a war bride & brought it with her from England to New Zealand. It now lives with me here in Australia. I just hope one day my daughter will love it as much as I do!

polkadotpeticoat said...

Your pottery is beautiful and what a lovely story...I do have some china that is near and dear to me!

simmone said...

Your pretty china is always a delight to see,Pam. I have a few old pieces from my late Nana that make me think of her.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog and I like it very much so I became your new follower.

Greetings from Holland,
Esther

Special 'K' said...

I too am loving your beautiful china. thanks for sharing. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

A Treasured Past said...

Gorgeous collection Pam. I too collect 1930's Japanese China, not for sentimental reasons like you, but just because I find it beautiful.
I collect the geranium-ware in green (it comes in yellow/orange too) and have 6 pieces in total. My gravy boat is the same mould as yours. Not that it would hold much gravy, teehee.
Enjoy the upcoming weekend, Tam x

Kate Nyquist said...

i've never seen pieces like it, so amazed you have so much! i love to collect milk glass- makes my heart skip a beat when i find a new piece!
Kate x

Tiff said...

Oooh what lovely treasures! X

kitchen said...

Hello
I loved this blog post, You are very talented & This website is really worth to be checking
Thank You

Little Red said...

I am absolutely addicted to vintage china and have a bit of a collection going on, mostly trios and cute saucers. There's something special about beautiful vintage china that just makes me happy :)
I love your pics. :)